Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Return from Bangalore

If you ask me I would say that driving 560 kilometers from Cochin to Bangalore or vice versa is much much easier than driving 56 kilometers within Bangalore City. Though I am no novice to the insane roads and traffic of Bangalore City, the 75 odd kilometers I had to drive on February 11th  came very near to extinguishing my love for driving. The only thing that sustained me during that day was the prospect of Aero India 2011 and the pleasure of riding back home in a day.

Reaching the Yelehanka Air Force Base at around 0815 in the morning and thanks to Mr. Justin of Indian Air Force me and my friend Krishnanjan arrived in time at the exhibition grounds. The vast spaces were filled with scores of gleaming, shining aircrafts, from heavy behemoths like the C-17 Globemaster, tiny turboprops to the crown jewels of Aviation, the competitors of India's Multi Role Combat Aircraft competition - the Eurofighter Typhoon, Saab Gripen, F/A18 and F16. The new C130J Super Hercules of Indian Air Force, the Tejas Mk.2 and of course the HAL Light Combat Helicopter ensured that my mouth remained open in wonderment for long long stretches of time. The magnificent aerial displays by the combat aircrafts and the aerial acrobatics by the Red Bull flying team and of course the inimitable Surya Kirans was followed by an exhorbitantly expensive lunch and the perusal through the massive hangars which served as exhibition halls.

When we left Yelahanka Air Force Base at 1630 at the repeated insistence of my friend for whom the thrill of fighter planes had long since faded, I had spent nearly 10 hours continuously standing. After a short visit to my cousin sister who had arranged this lifetime treat for me I returned to my friend's place.

While driving back or rather crawling through the snail pace traffic of Outer Ring Road from Hebbal to KR Puram and getting kilograms of dust into my already troubled respiratory system I decided that I must cut short my stay in Bangalore. The ride back on Sunday would be too risky especially as no workshops or shops may be open on a Sunday. Besides I had to report to work on Monday, which would not happen if I did not have at least one day to recover. Thus angering my friend for one day cut short I planned to drive back on Saturday, the 12th itself.

If the onward drive was defined by sheer enthusiasm and energy and tonnes of curiosity, the return journey was defined by exhaustion, muscle pain and sheer endurance. Starting at 0630 in the morning my body was sore even after reaching only Hosur, hardly a 50 km stretch of the 560 odd kilometers between me and home. Insane crowd at the Adyar Ananda Bhavan on the highway ensured that I had to drive on on empty stomach for more kilometers but thankfully the Five Star chocolates which I had stocked up proved its worth. These chocolates gave me much needed nourishment and a palliative to a hunger which was increasingly making itself felt. Pushing myself to the next bend, the next tree, the next township till I find a spot for breakfast at this early time I was disappointed by a couple of roadside hotels by their lack of palatable food. Finally at god knows where I saw a hotel where some trucks had stopped by. The quaint and ancient hotel had comfortable stools which gave rest to my sore backside. A rather heavy breakfast of dosa, porotta and supremely delicious omelette later I was on my way.

The relatively sumptuous breakfast now brought on the next greatest enemy of a long distance rider - drowsiness. I had hardly slept for the past couple of days and the compounded exhaustion was making its mark while I was driving at a placid 65 kmph on the nearly deserted Golden Quadrilateral Highway. I did hold on with determination to my lucidity which was fully restored only after a cup of strong black coffee and a bakery in yet another god knows which place. This second halt had given me more energy and I continued riding on.

Driving for me, is at times a philosophical experience. When one drives for long distances absolutely alone, when one is completely at the mercy of the road it does feel like a microcosm. We all live our lives alone, with co passengers occasionally sharing our journey for short stretches like those trucks, buses and cars which drive along side us.However ultimately everyone travels alone, you start alone and you reach the destination alone. The real test during this journey is invariably that of our determination to persevere in the face of overwhelming odds. It is easy to hitch your fate to someone else's guidance. It is much more easier to take short cuts. Duking it out is however the real test. As a person who feels he has more than an equal share of troubles behind him and yet more ahead of him, it was supremely necessary to prove myself to myself. What better way other than driving on in this ride?

Salem passed in a blur of brightness as the sun was bearing down rather hard on the land. It was too early for lunch so I figured I would do my major halt of the day at the Aaryaas outside of Avinashi. Having completed almost 200 kms from Bangalore now my body was getting more and more sore. Hourly stops at those well placed bus stops that line the Salem - Coimbatore highway ensured that I did not wear myself or my bike out unnecessarily. The increasing heat of the day caused me to take particular care to not over abuse my Hunk. Contrary to the onward journey when I drove at a steady 80 kmph, on the return leg I had been maintaining a steady 65 kmph so as to conserve fuel as well as to reduce strain on my body. As the sun crossed over to the West I had passed only Erode and the hunger started attacking again. The tantalizing boards advertising the restaurants from almost 25 kms away caused me to really reach the test of my patience. Hunger, tiredness all contributed into me reaching my wildest psychological phase yet during this trip. However this wildness was soon conquered after a brief 90 kmph dash and I returned to my steady speed and with an immeasurable gladness took the side road into the Aaryas.

In opposition to my first visit to the highway restaurant when it was nearly deserted, the place was now full with lunchtime crowds. With a zombie like gait I made my way to the A/C room which was mercifully empty. After ordering the meals I leisurely shed my jacket, gloves and pouch and relaxed nicely on to the magnificent sofa. The adequately tasty lunch and nearly half an hour of rest I took in that hotel was an absolute life saver. After the room was adequately cooled by the A/C the power failure gave me yet another blessing as I was able to cat nap in relative darkness for nearly 10 minutes.

The food and the rest had made me a new man. With a veritable bounce on my boots, I continued my ride. The joy ride was over soon enough as I reached the Avinashi Coimbatore road widening stretch where the traffic and dust started making me miserable again. Having completed more than 900 kms over all I kept an anxious eye on the odometer for the 1000 km mark. The thrill of getting to cross 1000 kept me going through the insane traffic in this stretch and as the kilometers crept up Coimbatore by pass was reached.As I drove past the last toll booth of the L&T Highway and drove up the small bridge above a tiny rivulet I stopped my bike to enjoy the 999.9th kilometer of my drive. Downing half a liter of water to quench my extreme thirst I silently cheered myself. Mounting back as I drove the next hundred meters and watched the odometer resetting itself to zero I shouted my enthusiasm out. This was a milestone, a much cherished and anticipated milestone.

As I drove on from Coimbatore towards Walayar a sense of anti climax had set in and now all I wanted to do was reach home. The nasty potholed roads of Palghat Trichur stretch was ahead of me and so was the insanely busy Trichur-Angamaly stretch of highway. But there is no other way than forward so I rode on.

Crossing Walayar I tanked up my bike at a fuel station with a great view of the hills and with the aim of crossing Kuthiran before nightfall I was on my way. In this stretch of the drive my pace had been a bit more faster. Despite the heavy traffic a steady 80 kmph was maintained. The excellently warmed up engine and a well psyched up me ensured steady progress weaving in and out of the traffic before dusk sets in and brings  the evening panic on people. If my previous day's drive had made me complacent about the roads of Kuthiran this day's drive reinforced my beliefs with a vehemence. Feeling the impact of every single pothole and crater on my screaming, paining backside I maintained a slow progress up the mountain pass the mad bus drivers of this stretch giving me additional things to worry about. Stopping for a while at the Kuthiran Sastha temple my major stop came at Pattikkad Indian Coffee House where I once again stopped for refreshments.

As I left Pattikkad the dusk had set in and the night was fast approaching. Cutting down the throttle I maintained a more cautious drive henceforth. The Trichur bypass was negotiated in a haze of tiredness, headlights and flies and the Trichur Angamaly was a continuing test of endurance.  The insane potholes at the Kodakara deviation made me want to cry out in pain. A short water break at Angamaly was ineffectual in soothing my sore muscles.

As I reached my home and struggled to finally dismount from my bike, the time was 2030. The total distance driven was 1195 kms.

Though I had to endure scoldings and remonstrations from family, friends and other concerned people, though even now I am suffering from the resurgence of my chest infection, I do not regret this ride. Apart from fulfilling several years worth of fantasies it has also given me a new dose of courage to win against myself. I also proved to myself that I have within me the spirit of a tourer. While other people have been riling me for riding such a long distance when cars, buses, trains and even planes are available, I am already ruminating on the next long drive. It may not be soon, but it will happen, so long as the wanderlust burns inside me.

1 comment:

Indiascribe Satire/കിനാവള്ളി said...

Good work. Happy riding.Once again you have got the flavour of a road trip just right.