Monday, February 4, 2008

freemasonry and outsourcing- what a combination !!!!!

dont worry i am not promulgating some wild goose chase story of penetration of freemasons into the outsourcing industry.
the title is just the description of my day, today.
today i attended a job interview for a bpo company and i also met a freemason.

the job interview happened first so that i shall narrate.
i used my friend's scooter as my father needed ours. pleasant ride over all, considering the aweful traffic of ernakulam roads. i reached the 6th floor office of the firm, filed my name in a roster and joined some 4 other guys waiting for the interview. all those guys were prim and smart in their appearances while i was in my bohemian best!!! i though appearances wont matter, and i guess it didnt.
i waited for my chance and when i was interviewed i was comfortable, confident and gave a casual interview. the interviewer , who later learned was an mba from rajagiri college, and a trashy one at that, snuffed me off by saying that my grammer is poor. now that was the last thing i expected!!! she also said my "5" back papers were a problem too. well what to say, she made me wait another 20 humid minutes in a fanless room with 7 other hopelesses and finally it was the door for me.
it was a definite anti climax. in fact i was glad to escape from there. they apparrently had no openings at ernakulam and had vacancy only at chennai!!! now damned if i have to go to chennai to work at an out sourcing company!!!!!
later after a heavy lunch and a post lunch siesta at the public library i left for the freemason meeting.
the meet was in wellingdon island, an exotic location for a tripunithuraite like me. it was a pleasant ride with minimal traffic and a overcast sky, and a sweet breeze. i could have been lulled to sleep if i hadnt been riding a rackety scooter!!!
i had trouble finding the office but i found it in time and had an excellent meeting.
the distinguished old man who is the lodge master of ernakulam lodge of freemasons is also apparently the no.2 freemason in india!!!! it was an excellent conversation of about 30 mins and i was hooked. he gave me a card and a pamphlet and told me about the commitments that i would have to make. the rs. 8k starting and rs.2k annual fee really scared me off, but not as much was the dress code which required me wearing a black coat, black pants, white shirt, black belt, black socks and black shoes!!!!!!!!!!!
doesnt it make men in blacks ashamed!!!!!!!!!!
anyway after a pleasant chat with that nice old man i cam home to a cozy bath and my comp.
pretty uneventful ever since.

to think that this is an organisation that is about 1000 years old, dating from the knights templar of crusades, and consisting of such illustrious people as former members as da vinci, galielo, newton, george washington, swami vivekananda, c rajagopalachari etc, it is quite overwhelming.

and to think that an organisation that i thought to be predominantly a christian european phenomena flourishing here, and being so secular at it too!!!!!!
it is indeed amazing and i do hope that someday i can list my name with the creed of freemasonry.

No comments: