Wednesday, March 5, 2008

wish and hope

is a wish and a hope the same thing? i am not interested in the dictionary meanings and differenced of the two words- any policeman can do that.

but i had been thinking is there any fundamental differences between wishing and hoping for something?

do we wish for things that seem unreasonable and do we limit our hopes to things that sound reasonable? though the exact context which made me ponder these stuff is personal i can say that i found the futility of wishing when our wish is the most unreasonable.
people might wish they can fly like birds but they hope to fly in a plane!! i think that is the basic difference between the two stuffs. perhaps hope is a wish with a sprinkling of prudence and reason mixed with it.
i find myself wishing for some things that are not at all in my grasp of things. some matters can never be accomplished without mutual consent. we can only wish for reciprocation we can never hope for it. hoping for such things inevitably brings it to the realm of wishful thinking and we move to the realm of depression when the realities strike us full in face like a smash from muhammed ali. and it will be all the more painful because of the abruptness of the shattered illusion.
but when we know that what we desire is a wish rather than a hope we do not attach our lives to it in such a way that we are controlled by that desire. when i hope to be a civil servant, i desire that with a lot of realism and rationality and not wishful thinking. that object of hope is rationally attainable and though worth attaching our life to.
but when i wish to become the president of usa, let alone india that is a wishful, imaginative thinking.
i became really depressed when in the context the desire revealed itself to me as a mere wish rather than a hope. earlier when the same desire was a wish i deluded myself into believing that that wish was more than illusory and started hoping for it. i started living in a dreamland where all events and actions i translated into a role supporting of my false hope. and when the falseness of the wish was revealed i am crushed.
on contrary with my earlier posts i am not writing this in a happy frame of mind. in truth, i am really depressed and sad though my outward expression will not reveal it to people who observe me in real world. perhaps i am becoming successful at compartmentalizing my woes in order to not worry my fellow people. me being generally considered a jolly immature sort of chap that is the best face to reveal. after all why worry another being with the worries of myself???
right now consider even this post to be a drastic mistake . the reader who has often seen only the deranged portions of my cranium is exposed to the darker strains of my mind.
anyway no more of this stuff. by the time i swamp this blog with more lunatic aspects of my brain no one will notice this.
c ya latr

1 comment:

Biker BT said...

Hi, Wish is probably something you may want to achieve in future ... like u cd say a wishlist -- a mercedes by the age of 50 !BUT hope may be for an immediate outcome..... u cd be saying maybe u hope you wil pass the exams this time ! I would put it like hope is for critical things but wish could be something thats not urgent -- cheers BT ..whats horemheb ?????